Thursday, September 30, 2021

Presenting my novel: Tears of the Phoenix

Last month I mentioned that I’d finally finished writing a novel I’ve been working on for nearly 40 years but never mentioned the title nor what it was about.

That was on purpose. You see I wanted to whet your appetite and build suspense this month’s big reveal.

Okay. Not really.

I just wanted to give myself a topic for this month’s post. 

So now that I’ve done that, I’m finally ready to tell you what my epic-in-the-making is about.

As you can see from the preliminary cover pictured above, it’s called “Tears of the Phoenix” and it’s what I’d like to think of as space opera grounded in reality. I call it this because I tried to make the characters, settings and situations feel so familiar and plausible that all the space opera tropes just fade into the background. 

I was inspired to do this by stories like George RR Martin’s  “A Song of Ice and Fire” series which read like a history text on medieval Europe if medieval Europe just happened to feature dragons and magic, or some of the Marvel movies such as “Captain America: The First Avenger,” which was really ’40s-era World War II flick that just happened to be about a superhero or “Ant-Man” which was really a heist film in the vein of the “Ocean's 11” or “The Italian Job” rather than another superhero origin story.

Whether I succeeded  in doing this will be up to you, but here’s the back-of-the book synopsis:

After a chance meeting with a shy, young graduate student at a prestigious Upstate New York university, medical student Dawn Amanda finds herself drawn into a galactic civil war between two alien factions racing to find and control eight crystals which hold the power of creation itself.

But she soon finds that she is no innocent bystander to events she thought beyond her control and soon realizes that she is an integral player in a crusade whose outcome will determine the fate of both their races.

Let me know in the comments below if this blub would make you want to pick up the book or if you like the cover.



No comments:

Post a Comment